Where to go and things to do in our area...
There is a rich heritage attached to Mendon and the Blackstone Valley. This site will continue to offer sugjgestions for things to do, places to go, treasures to discover in our own backyard. Check back often as we add places and events to this page.
OUTDOOR RECREATION / HISTORICAL SITES
* Mendon Town Beach - Open 12pm-7pm June-August. Admission is $2/person for Mendon & Uxbridge Residents, $3/person for Non-Residents, and FREE for 2&under/60+. Season Passes are available. Summer Events: Click HERE
* Trails and Passive Recreation, The Town of Mendon, Trustees of Reservations, and several private parties have worked tirelessly to preserve the following group of properties. The entire system includes 19 miles of interconnected trails on 815o acres of land. All of them are permenantly protected conservation land, open to the public.
* Blackstone River and Canal State Park, which is operated in conjunction with the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor. Visitor Center at Voss Farm on Oak Street in Uxbridge. Check out their website for trail maps, calendar of events and an extensive list of amenities and recreational opportunities. On Sunday afternoons, at 3 pm during summer months you can attend free concerts on the lawn of the Visitor Center.
One of the most exciting projects currently underway in the Heritage Corridor is the construction of the Blackstone River Bikeway. When completed, this bikeway will connect Providence RI to Worcester MA. Portions are currently complete and open.
* Cormier Woods, Uxbridge, explore the fields, woodlands and farmstead of this centuries-old agricultural landscape, anchored by its sturdy farmhouse and barn. Admire enduring stonewalls as you wander along 3 miles of footpaths that trace 300 years of American history in a quiet sylvan setting of this preserved farmstead. Chaplin Street off Blackstone Street in Uxbridge.
* Daniels Farmstead ... Take Blackstone Street which becomes Mendon Street in Blackstone. Just over the town line is this preserved old farm. Take in a weekly Farmer's Market every Sunday, 11am to 3pm, from July through October.
* Hassanamesit Native American Reservation and Museum, 80 Brigham Hill Rd, Grafton MA. Open by appointment and for PowWow.
* Southwick's Zoo. We have the largest Zoo in New England in our own backyard. 2 Southwick's Street, Mendon
The Mendon Library has 2 FREE parking passes for any of the Mass State Parks available for borrowing!
For an exhaustive listing of events and festivals in New England, check out all that is available in this corner of the country. www.discovernewengland.org
Free Fun Fridays: Check out the great opportunities in Massachusetts this summer. For schedule go to: http://highlandstreet.org/freefunfridays.html
Summer Concert Series
- Sundays at 3 pm: -Visitor Center Blackstone River Valley State Park, Oak Street, Uxbridge
- Tuesdays at 6:30 pm: - Milford Town Park, Congress Street
- Wednesdays at 7 pm: - Hopedale Town Park, Dutcher Street
- Saturday evenings - Upper Charles Concert Series, Milford UU Church Street on Pine Street. See their Facebook page for details.
- Sundays at 5 pm. - Hopkinton Town Common
- Sundays - 6 to 7:30 The Upton Recreation Commission is sponsoring a series of free summer concerts at Kiwanis Beach Pavilion. Pack a picnic basket, grab your chair, and enjoy some music under the new pavillion.
Coming Soon... PERFORMANCE ARTS resources
Did You Know?... You can borrow passes for free or discounted admissions to many museums and cultural venues at your public libraries? Link to Mendon's Taft Public Library.
Blackstone - Daniels Farmstead, Mendon Street. Sundays 11-3
Douglas - Jenckes Store on Main Street: Saturdays 9-12, starts June 18, 2016
Hopkinton - On the Common. Sundays 1-5
Grafton - On the Common. Thursdays 2-6
Milford - Dilla Street. Saturdays 9 -1
More Farmers' Markets