Trash Pick up
Property owners will be billed semi-annually. Bills are due 30 days from the date the notice is mailed. Payments are to be sent to the Tax Collectors office. If payment is NOT received, the Board of Health will assume trash service is not wanted and instruct the trash hauler not to pick up trash at that location. If you do not participate in the trash program your recycling will still be picked up. Republic Services is our current trash hauler 1-800-551-5584. Any questions please contact the office.
- 4 bags (50-pound limit)
- Containers must be covered and bags tied.
- Trash and recycling must be out by 7:00 a.m.
- Dogs must be restrained on the days of pick up: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- If you share a common driveway or multi-family home you MUST label your containers.
- Labled for containers MUST be NO SMALLER than 4 inches
- Trash containers can be NO LARGER than 54 gallons
- Total number bags alowed is 10. 4 bags included in trash fee and 6 bags with the $2.00 orange trash sticker on each bag.
The ONLY days that we will be delayed on are:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If any of these holidays fall on a weekend they will NOT be delayed.
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day’s collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day. Friday’s collections will be on Saturday.
Additional Trash and Sticker Fees
- Each additional bag (above the 4 bag limit) will require an orange trash sticker.
- Note, MAX limit of 10 bags for pickup (4 included in trash fee plus 6 extras with stickers)
- Cost $2.00 per sticker
- Cash or Check made payable to the Town of Mendon
- May be purchased at the Board of Health office - Monday thru Thursday
- Mail by sending a self-address stamp envelope and a check
- Bulk items must be arranged ahead of time by calling Republic Services at 800-551-5584. The fee is $10.00 per item paid directly to Republic.
Residential Sharps Program
Republic Services, Inc. offers an easy-to-use, safe cost-effective and convenient method for proper disposal of medical sharps and other related medical waste, Republic Services Residential Sharps Mail-Back Kits contain all the necessary components for the safe handling, collection, transportation and disposal of medical sharps. Simply go on-line to: www.republicsharps.com or call 855-737-7871.
- Paper is picked up one week, plastics, glass and tin will be pick up the other week
- Numbers 1 - 7 plastics
- Cardboard must be no bigger than 2ft. by 2ft.
The following items are not allowed:
- Soiled paper or Pizza Boxes
- Plastic bags
- Aluminum Foil
- Broken Glass, Window Glass, Pyrex
- Nothing containing hazardous materials (Paint, Aerosol, Oil, Chemicals)
Reasons trash would not be picked up
- Non-payment of bill
- Not out by 7:00 a.m.
- Not placed at curbside
- Trash not bagged and is loose in a container
- Containers not labeled if you share common drive-way or multi-family home.
- Label on container is too small.
- Applicant or spouse must be age 65 or older
- Applicant or spouse must be the homeowner of the property
- Home listed must be the primary residence of the applicant or spouse
- Rental properties will be reviewed by the Board on a case by case basis
- Application must be filled out and returned to the Board of Health office.
- Once approved discount will be applied to the next bill
Mercury Thermometers, Thermostats, Buttel-Cell Batteries & Mercury Switches
Mercury thermometers, thermostats, button cell batteries and mercury switches may be brought to the Board of Health office in the Town Hall during regular business hours. Mercury filled thermometers may be exchanged for a new digital thermometer.